EAL currently offers EPA for 27 apprenticeship standards. See how we can help.
What is End-Point Assessment?
End-Point Assessment is the last assessment apprentices undertake to prove occupational competence.
Having passed their EPA, an apprentice is occupationally competent. Meaning they have the right knowledge, skills and behaviours to succeed in industry.
EAL is the End-Point Assessment Organisation (EPAO) for the engineering and manufacturing sector.
We've been at the forefront of supporting employers to develop new apprenticeship standards. This includes assessment plan development.
By choosing EAL as your apprentice assessment organisation you'll enjoy:
- Unrivalled support from experts who have served in your occupational area.
- Expertise in quality assuring delivery and assessment using our understanding of employer needs.
- A flexible and responsive service, with a first-rate level of customer experience.
All apprenticeship standards must contain an assessment plan and an End-Point Assessment (EPA).
The assessment plan outlines how apprentices will be assessed against the apprenticeship standard. This includes what they need to achieve for their apprenticeship completion certificate.
It explains what is assessed, how, and who will conduct the assessment. A range of assessment methods is available such as:
- a viva
- practical and/or knowledge assessments
- observation of performance
- completion of a work portfolio.
The apprenticeship assessment must:
- Have an independently assessed End-Point Assessment, carried out by an organisation on the government's Register of End-Point Assessment Organisations (EAL is on the register)
- Be graded eg pass, merit and distinction
- Deliver consistent, reliable and valid judgements
- Set out internal and external quality assurance processes
Apprenticeship End-Point Assessment
All apprenticeships have training and assessment throughout the duration of the programme. And now all must now contain an End-Point Assessment (EPA).
This forms the final stage of the apprenticeship. It's separate from any qualifications or other assessment an apprentice undertakes in training. It assesses whether the apprentice has met the apprenticeship requirements standard. This ensures apprentices are competent in their occupational role.
An independent, registered assessment organisation must conduct the End-Point Assessment. This ensures consistency of assessment for everyone following the same apprenticeship standard.
The government's Register of End-Point Assessment Organisations (EPAOs) lists eligible organisations. Employers can choose which organisation on the register to work with. Each apprenticeship standard assessment plan describes The End-Point Assessment.
EAL EPA Service
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (The Institute) endorses EAL to deliver End-Point Assessment for:
- Associate Project Manager (Level 4)
- Commercial Catering Equipment Technician (Level 3)
- Control/Technical Support Engineer (Level 6)
- Electrical/Electronic Technical Support Engineer (Level 6)
- Engineering Design and Draughtsperson (Level 3)
- Engineering Fitter (Level 3)
- Engineering Manufacturing Technician (Level 4)
- Engineering Operative (Level 2)
- Engineering Technician (in collaboration with IMechE) (Level 3)
- Lean Manufacturing Operative (Level 2)
- Lift and Escalator Electromechanic (Level 3)
- Maintenance and Operations Engineering Technician (Level 3) (MOET)
- Manufacturing Engineer (Level 6)
- Metal Fabricator (Level 3)
- Metrology Technician (Level 3)
- Motor Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician (Light Vehicle) (Level 3)
- Process Leader (Level 4)
- Product Design and Development Engineer (Level 6)
- Propulsion Technician (Level 4)
- Rail Engineering Advanced Technician (Level 4)
- Rail Infrastructure Operator (Level 2)
- Rail Engineering Operative (Level 2)
- Rail Engineering Technician (Level 3)
- Senior Metrology Technician (Level 5)
- Space Engineering Technician (Level 4)
- Tramway Construction Operative (Level 2)
- Watchmaker (Level 3)
We are applying to offer End-Point Assessments for standards in our core sectors as they become available.