The new UCAS Tariff has been developed to include a wider range of qualifications and a number of EAL Level 3 technical engineering and building services qualifications have been awarded UCAS points. Other qualifications on the Tariff include A-Levels, Scottish Highers, Scottish Advanced Highers, the Welsh Baccalaureate and other knowledge qualifications.
Key features of EAL's qualifications with UCAS points:
Unique choice and flexibility
- Can help support learners who wish to progress into Higher Education, an apprenticeship or other employment.
- Provide a blended learning offer unique to EAL that suits many learners, combining theory with practical application.
- Offer a much wider choice of assessment methods than other awarding organisations to suit employers and training organisations, including online examinations, controlled knowledge tests and practical assessments.
- Can be delivered as standalone qualifications or alongside other qualifications, such as A-Levels.
- Are suitable for all ages – from Key Stage 5 learners (aged 16-18) to full-time adult learners.
Approved and recognised by industry and educational bodies
- Meet DfE requirements and will appear on school and college league tables.
- Have been designed with and endorsed by employers and professional industry associations, increasing employability opportunities in the chosen field on completion of the qualification.
- Are approved and recognised by some universities and colleges as meeting their entrance requirements.
- Just because a qualification is on the Tariff, it doesn't mean a university or college will accept it. Therefore it's really important to check the course entry requirements.
- Equally, if a qualification is not on the Tariff, a university or college may still accept it. It's always best to check with the university or college offering the course.
The EAL qualifications with UCAS points are:
|EAL Level 3 Diploma In Plumbing and Heating||600/8595/2||Pass||536||540||32|
|EAL Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Plumbing||601/4567/5
|EAL Level 3 Diploma In Electrical Installation||600/9331/6||Pass||459||489||32|
|EAL Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Installation||601/4563/8||Distinction||459||491||48|
|EAL Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Engineering Technologies||601/5799/9||Distinction||375||480||48|
|EAL Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technologies||601/5801/3||Distinction||525||680||72|
|EAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering Technologies||601/5802/5||Distinction||750||980||96|
|EAL Level 3 Technical Extended Diploma in Engineering Technologies||603/0564/2||Distinction*||1095||1480||168|
|NEW! EAL Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)||603/1353/5||Distinction||750||1200||96|
|NEW! EAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Knowledge)||603/1354/7||Distinction||1200||1790||144|
For comparison purposes - UCAS UK benchmark qualifications1
Tariff points listed below apply to all A-Level and AS qualifications awarded since 2001.
Size Band: 4 Grade Band: 4-14
1UK benchmark qualifications: the qualifications most frequently held by applicants from each of the UK countries. They are called ‘benchmarks’ because they are often used as a reference point by higher education professionals when looking at less familiar qualifications.
Source: UCAS Tariff Tables - New Tariff points for entry to higher education from 2017 – May 2017
Did you know?
- The Engineering Technologies qualifications are included within apprenticeship frameworks too. This means they could be delivered to apprentices alongside learners who are seeking employment in the sector. (Once employed, the individual would just need to complete the additional components of the apprenticeship framework, such as the competency-based element, to gain their full apprenticeship qualification).
- The qualifications landscape for university admissions is currently undergoing significant change. In recent years, an increasing number of learners have been entering higher education with new or less traditional qualifications. Further information can be found on the UCAS website UCAS - Progression-pathways.
Download our leaflet for further information EAL Qualifications Awarded UCAS.