Carshalton College case study
Experts in electricals
George Koritsas has nothing but praise for the quality of EAL qualifications and the service level which goes with them.
In fact he is so impressed, he not only delivers EAL courses in his role as a Trainer Assessor at Carshalton College, Surrey, he has engaged the specialist awarding organisation for industry qualifications for his own new business – Electrical Training Solutions Ltd, which is in Bournemouth Town Centre.
“EAL understand the business, the need to communicate and are very supportive,” says George. “Unlike other providers, we have direct access to knowledgeable external verifiers and product specialists, people who have been through the qualifications, worked in industry, and it is they who are overseeing the standards - that gives you great confidence.
“They are never afraid to compliment when things are going well, guide when it is needed and react if there is a problem which needs addressing.
“We work as a team, a real collaborative effort. EAL has re-introduced the way engineers used to be taught so that with the theory and practical elements, there is nothing the students cannot turn their hands to.
“They are very well-prepared. They are not just taught to be electricians, but to also learn the skills and theory to become all-rounders, to be able to set their minds to any new task. When they have undergone EAL training, and if they follow the programme, they will not only pass exams they can hold their own in the workplace.”
The Power Assessment & Training Centre, a partnership between Carshalton and Kingston Colleges, provides Gas, Plumbing, Electrical, Construction, Health & Safety and Renewable Energy courses for new entrants to these sectors, as well as existing industry professionals, ensuring that employers across the Building Services, Construction and Energy sectors have the skills required to increase productivity and gain new business.
It has dedicated state-of-the-art training and assessment facilities at the Carshalton campus, in the Greater South-West London area, and all courses are tailored to the specific needs of learners with delivery at regular and convenient times, including evenings and weekends, to suit business working patterns.
The EAL qualifications the college delivers are:
- EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations provides a substantial part of training and underpinning knowledge for electrical installation work, to assist in qualifying as an electrician. It is for people wishing to progress within electrical contracting or find employment in associated, related industries for buildings and structures.
- EAL Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations This is the final part of the EAL Diplomas in Electrical Installations, which helps candidates work towards being a fully qualified electrician.
- EAL NVQ Level 3 in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Buildings, Structures and the Environment) is an additional course that is either completed alongside or after the EAL Level 3 Diploma. It is aimed at those who install electrical systems in the commercial and/or industrial sectors, and alongside the AM-2, will qualify the candidate as an “Approved” electrician.
- EAL Level 3 Award in Initial Verification of Electrical Installations This course is aimed at practising electricians who have not carried out initial verification since qualifying or who require some update of training before going on to other qualifications. It is also suitable for those with limited experience of initial verification, such as those entering the industry from other engineering disciplines or who have been working in allied trades.
- EAL Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection and Testing is ideally for those who do have experience in Initial Verification, and have attained the above qualification. This qualification is focussed more towards the fault finding and Condition Reporting of Electrical Installations, centralising on using test instruments to obtain readings, and understand their meaning.
- Level 3 Awards in Initial Verification, Certification and Periodic Inspection plus Testing Package.
George said: “Our relationship with EAL involves people who have been trained, and work in the industry, and it doesn’t get better than that. EAL go to extra lengths to make sure we know what we are doing, and that all aspects from the paperwork, through to the practical requirements, are clearly communicated. We get fantastic support from the EVs. They hold your hand every step of the way.”